Thursday, October 1, 2015

Two Things...

*
I wish we could bottle the "weekend."  I know, it sounds a bit strange (or does it?!?), but hear me out.

So, last week, during the Monday through Friday part, I was exhausted.  I couldn't get enough sleep.  Come around 3:00pm, my eyes were heavy and I was trying to do my transcription but the rhythm of my doctor's voice was just like a lullaby!   I don't drink Diet Pepsi anymore, but I am sure that caffeine would have helped.  I had to stand up and walk around just a bit just to clear the cobwebs!

This week, (and might I add, thank heavens it's Thursday, I am exhausted!!) is about the same thing.  I have had a headache almost every evening.  I haven't even been able to read before bed neither I have I been able to knit much.  Just feeling kinda blah.

But, I can almost guarantee that come Friday afternoon/evening I will be just fine!!  I bet I can go out for dinner and a movie with my date!  I bet I can stay up to midnight knitting and Netflix bingeing.  I bet I will get up to feed the dogs at 6:30 in the morning (I know, you'd think I would have them better trained than that) and be roaring to go!  I bet I can shop on Saturday until I am about to drop! I bet I get up Sunday, also at 6:30 (dogs....), do my laundry (if Trent hasn't already done it!) and clean my house a bit and again knit and movie binge watch without any problem.  Until.....Sunday evening.

On Sunday evening, my fingers will begin to tingle with carpal tunnel syndrome a little bit.  I am sure that little pounding above my right eye will start just a bit. My left elbow may begin to ache just a touch.  I am sure my lower back will be a little achy as well.  My neck... well, it may need to be massaged!  That's right... I am starting not to feel well.  Monday is tomorrow.

I know I am not the only one to do this.  I have friends, spouses of friends, family, etc. who I know face these same problems.   You can be at the ER on Wednesday night yet howling at the moon on Saturday at midnight!  You have have all these aches and pains during the week that are just miraculously cured, if only for 48 short hours!  I don't even need to nap on Saturday or Sunday!  I am always raring to go!  What's the next adventure we are going to do?  What movie might we see?  Is there a baseball game in San Francisco?  Do I need more yarn (the answer to this question is...Really?  Do you need even ask?)?  Could I cruise through the mall and buy stuff that I don't need?  Does little Winnie (my Mini) need to go for a little drive to the beach?   That's right, I am FOE   -- Full Of Energy!  I am not sick.  There are no aches or pains.

So, let's bottle it!

And, just a side note here - a little rant, if you will - The week is seven days long, yet the weekend is only two days?!?  I mean, I know you can't split seven in an equal half (look at that...high school algebra is paying off!), but you can get a little closer than 2/7.  I would take 3/7.  However...oh my gosh, wouldn't 4/7 be the BEST!!  But I wont be greedy... I will take the 3/7 and be happy with it.  I think we should start a campaign  --- Friday should be the weekend too!!  Let's start a trend - #fridaywantstobethestartoftheweekend  Love it!!

*
Okay, being from a very small town in New Mexico with the nearest interstate (BTW, just a little observation here -- how in the world can Hawaii have interstate highways?  There is no INTERstating going on there, right?) being like, I don't know, like 2 hours away, I don't really know if this is a problem there or just in California.  But here in Cali, motorcycles can drive between the lanes. Like on the dotted yellow lines.  When we first moved here, I would like swerve because it would scare the crap out of me because the motorcycle was passing me and he wasn't there a minute ago and there is a car there in the next lane? Where did he come from?  What lane is he using?   It still kinda scares me, especially if I am driving our huge Ram Truck and if I am in the middle lane and can't really swerve or move over any to give the motorcycle guy some room.  But, really...do I HAVE to make him room?  He can see that I am in a big truck and that there is say another big truck next to me, he should be able to tell that he cannot fit through there...yet, he tries.  YIKES!

Trent says that a long time ago or in older motorcycles that are air cooled, they need to keep going, especially in California where we have such lovely traffic that really stalls to a 3-MPH crawl, to keep from overheating.  If the motorcycle continued at a 3-MPH pace for too long, it would overheat.  Okay... I see that.  I am reasonable.

But...that does not explain why the motorcycle people do the same thing while in-town driving.  The other day I was driving in town and was stopped at a light, a few minutes (okay, probably seconds, but doesn't it feel like forever when you are waiting the light to turn green!?!) later, a motorcycle came up between cars and stopped at the red light between me and another vehicle, who, by the way, were in our own lanes.  The motorcycle guy, he was not in a lane.   When the light turned green, he hauled butt outta there!  So, in my mind, this guy was breaking like two traffic laws; he was passing in a lane that was already occupied by another vehicle and he was speeding (okay, yeah, so what, I was speeding too, but that is only ONE law broken not two!).

While I am on the fence about letting them pass me on the highway, I am clearly not whilst driving in town, off the highway, on regular city streets.  I think on the highway, if indeed we are going less than the posted speed limit, the motorcycle should be allowed to have some leeway and pass perhaps if the area is wide enough for him to get by (that is a whole other issue..there are some motorcycles that are very big and have those saddle bags (hey...I resemble that comment!) that are quite big which makes the motorcycle very wide, almost too wide to slip between two vehicles if the two vehicles stayed in their respected lanes and not scooch over to make room).  But if we are all going, or exceeding in some cases (LOL), the speed limit, they should have to follow the same rules and pass like the rest of us.  I think the same should go for in-town driving.  There are lights and stop signs and crosswalks that we all have to stop for, I think they should have to stop, behind traffic, in their own lane, and wait like the rest of us.

Even after living in Cali for the last 14+ years, I still get startled by a motorcycle passing me going between the lanes.  I worry for their mothers who you KNOW are worried that their babies are out there in motorcycles driving through traffic. I always pray that they are observant enough to watch out for cars who are changing lanes and just don't see the motorcycle, because frankly, they are not where they are supposed to be.   And I pray that they have the ability to duck their heads if they come in close contact to a side-view mirror that sticks out a little too far.  It scares me, it really does.  While I loved to ride on the back of Trenty's bike (and feel his body close to .... never mind, too much information) back in the day, there is no way I would get on one here in California.  It just scares me too much.

And that, dear friends, are my two things this week!

No comments: