Thursday, August 20, 2015

Two Things...

The two things today are simply because I would much rather blog than work.  I didn't say it was productive; I just think it is more fun!

*
I was thinking the other day...yes, you probably should be worried... do you know when you go to a movie theater during a matinee and you walk outside after the movie is over and you can hardly see?  You know, the light is just so bright you have to literally close your eyes.  I wonder if that is what it is like when you die.

The after-movie sunlight is far brighter than most other sunlights.  I wake up every morning and I hardly ever close my eyes and squint because the light is so bright.  It may take me a minute to adjust, but the brightness is not really a factor.  But when you walk outside after sitting in a movie theater for a few hours, it is like someone turned the sun up like 100%!

We have heard people talk about "near-death experiences" and the bright light for like ever.  I wonder if the light is so bright, that we have to squint and shield our eyes.  I wonder if that is why some people choose not to go to the light because of the brightness.  Maybe there is a fear of the unknown there or perhaps the light is just too bright and those people just turn away for one-split second and that one second, half a second even, is enough time for you to be pulled back here.

I wonder what would happen if the "bright light" was not so bright.  What if this light were like the morning sunlight, bright, but not blindingly bright.  Where we have a moment to adjust our eyes, but not shield them or cover them or even look back, but just a moment to blink and look ahead.  I wonder who we would see.  I wonder if there would be less talk about the next life or the hereafter or the bright light if it just wasn't as bright and people could see to the other side and just go. If I saw my Daddy there and he had his arms outstretched and waiting for me to run into them like I was a 2-year-old again, I would go!  I can't think that I would even hesitate.  I might regret it, the minute I took the first step; you still being conscious of this life, of this world, of my family and friends, all the things that I have left to do...

Then, I settled onto this thought -- Perhaps that light is so bright because the world behind us is so not.  The contrast between the bright and the darkness is so dramatic it makes the darkness look darker and the brightness look brighter.  We are leaving a life where there is sadness and pain and heartache and sin (yes, my life also has joy and happiness as well, duh...that just doesn't work with my scenario) into a place of pure bliss.  We don't feel pain.  We don't miss those we have left behind, because they are on their way. We don't worry about money and bills and what's for dinner.  We see our family and our doggies!!  If we have lived a life that we were expected to live and do the things that were expected of us to the best of our ability, notwithstanding our mistakes and our fall backs and the times we didn't actually choose the right, we will see those who have gone before us and know things that we long ago forgot.  And then the very next minute, we can turn around and outstretch our arms for the ones we love.


*
I have a couple of thoughts about my next thing, but I decided to keep it little lighter than that above!

I was online the other day looking at houses for sale and I could not believe how many of the listings had pictures of pretty decent houses but they were dirty. Maybe not like hoarder dirty, but not clean!  Like there was a bedroom and the bed was not made.  What?!?  Do I make my bed every day?  Certainly not. Would I make my bed if I were going to take a picture to try to sell my house? Ummmm...yes!!  Do I always put my folded laundry directly into drawers/closets?  I wish I did, but I don't.  Would I put my folded laundry away if I was taking a picture to sell my house?  YES!!  Do I mop or vacuum every day? Actually, I do vacuum every day -- Ralphie the Roomba takes care that for me! But if I were taking a picture to sell my house, I would not only vacuum but probably steam clean!  I would not only mop, but get on my hands and knees and scrub!!   The pillows would be fluffed and air would smell like cookies!  You maybe can't smell the cookies, but you certainly would be able to think you could!

I don't know, I just found this odd.  Just clean...or at the very least just pick up!  I wont look past the dirty picture (*snicker* I said dirty picture!) and think about buying your house, I will simply click on the next listing.  No, my house is not stage-ready to sell, but it could be in like ... I was going to say 5 minutes, but more like probably 2 hours; but even 5 minutes -- that is just enough time to make the bed and throw the clothes under the bed and pick up the big, noticeable pieces off the floor and put the dirty dishes in the oven!  And,,,no, mother, I have NEVER done any of those things!!!  I may have thrown clothes back into the dryer, but I am not admitting anything!!

Just a little side note here... I can't remember where I read it or heard it, but I read once that you should leave your vacuum out and by the front door.  That way, if someone drops by unexpectedly, it either looks like you were just about to clean if your house is dirty or you had just finished if your house is clean!    Or Phyllis Diller once said that she opens the door with her coat on; that way she can either say she was just getting home or just leaving -- depending on who you are!  And, again, mother, no, I have never done either of those!


*
So, we have learned today to walk into the bright light and to clean your house before you take a picture (even a selfie; but don't get me started on some of those pictures with crap in the background!!).

XOXO

1 comment:

Diana Lacey said...

I love this post! Keep blogging your thoughts. You have a wonderful talent.