Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Two for Tuesday...

Have I mentioned that I am dreading Tuesday's now?!?

1) Maggie. Maggie makes me happy. She knows when I am sad. Earlier I was having a moment and there were tears rolling down my cheeks. I was not bawling or anything, just crying a bit. Maggie comes up to my desk, pushes my chair back a little, and puts her precious little head on my thigh. She looked up at me and her eyes told me that all would be okay. Last night I sat on the floor for a moment and instantly, she comes and literally sits on my lap! I kinda pushed her away and, of course, she came charging back. She then gave me tons of kisses and tail whipped me! Maggie, my doggie, she makes me very happy.

2) Perfect timing. Fate, if you will. Here is a charming little story that makes me happy....My mother and her brother had not spoken to each other in years, close to 30. I missed having my cousins growing up past the age of 12 and I, of course, missed having an uncle and aunt in my life. I had kept in moderate contact with my aunt; we would exchange the brief email, an occasional happy birthday, and perhaps a holiday card or two. I kept her apprise of most of the family things. Last year, in May, my grandmother fell and hurt her tailbone; it was at that time, while in the hospital, her dementia was revealed. I think we all knew that it was getting worse, but until she was in an unfamiliar area with people around who she did not know, it was not as evident. It was a hard decision for my mother and father to make, but the time had come to put her in a home. They spent countless hours trying to get the state to take care of my grandmother and get all the paperwork in order and get her situated. During this time, I, of course, would email my aunt as well as my cousins and keep them all apprised of my grandmama. Out of the blue, I received an email from my uncle, which was very unusual. He asked what he thought about him seeing his mother (after 30 years). I, not as good at hiding my excitement as I could have been, emailed him back and kinda chastised him for waiting this long and that I felt it was a wonderful idea. It was good for him, for his mother, for me, and especially for my mother.

My uncle and aunt drove to Farmington one weekend in June 2010...Natalie I drove the same weekend from California for this brief, but so appropriately timed (hang in there...this will be explained in a minute!) reunion. My uncle had never met my now 17-1/2-year-old daughter and had not known me as an adult. He saw his mother, who unfortunately had no idea who he was. I think, perhaps (perfect timing?) that it was probably best that way. My grandmother is not a forgiving person and holds many a grudge...and....well, my uncle is her son! He saw her and told her the things he needed to. All was well. My uncle and aunt stayed for a little while that day and caught up and chatting with the fam fam. It was a good day. I might say it was a terrific day. I might even go to say it was one of three of the best days I had last year.

Approximately 6 weeks later, my father passed away.

Okay...so, now I really need Maggie!!!!

I have no doubt in my mind that my Heavenly Father played a hand in all of that. It had been 30 years and nothing, not even a desire. Then, one day, my uncle reunites with his family. Then, 6 weeks later, my mother needs her family more than she ever has. My brother and his family were there, me and my family were there...and her brother and sister-in-law were there.

Since that time, my uncle and my mother have spent much time together. My mom will call and tell me what Uncle Bobby said or what he did or what he wants to do. I don't know, really, how my mother would have survived these past 8 months without my uncle back in her life.

I am happy for perfect timing.

XOXOB

No comments: