Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Memories

I have been a bit...melancholy, if you will, lately. Not depressed, not really sad, just a lot on my mind I guess. My daughter informed me a couple of days ago that she will be 18 next year. Indeed she will, next December, still over a year away, but nonetheless my sweet, baby girl will be 18 next year. This makes my sweet, baby boy (no wonder they wont grow up!) 21 next year! But, alas, I remain young! I don't feel a day over 25 myself, until I look in the mirror and see that 40+-year-old woman looking back at me or until I go to stand up after sitting all day and my back hurts just a little or I find (or one of my lovely family members points out) a gray hair.

So, I have had a couple of memories of my childhood lately. I find this interesting on many levels, but mainly because I don't have a lot of childhood memories. Repressed? Dementia? Who know, but I don't really have a lot that I remember about being young. But I would like to share those couple of things that I have remembered in the last few weeks.

First, the smell of lilacs. My grandmother used to (probably still does, I don't know) have a lilac bush just outside of her house. It used to bloom in the spring and you could smell the lilac blossoms for miles. They were special to my grandmother because of the smell and because of the color of the flowers - her favorite, purple.

Secondly, I heard a song on the radio a few weeks ago, "Nobody does it better" and this reminded me of my aunt and uncle. Okay, pay attention here -- My aunt (my mother's half sister) and my uncle (my mother's half brother) are not related. They are roughly the same age, born just months apart. My uncle had been in a car accident (now that I look back, it was a rather bad accident and my aunt and I should have been a little bit more concerned over his well being, but we were not) and we dedicated that song to him. We thought it was funny and we laughed! It still brings a smile upon my face when I think about it.

Another memory, a rather odd one, is about toys that I used to have. Natalie and I were shopping and saw this shirt:



I remember playing with those little people! I don't remember what they were called - they are not Weebles. But we used to have like planes and cars and houses that they used to play in. I remember the dog and the mean kid in the hat!

Another thing, I was reading on one of my friend's Facebook that they used to have a dog named Snoopy! Oh my gosh, my uncle (the one named above) also had a dog named Snoopy. We watched Snoopy die at the hands, or tires as the case may be, of the garbage truck. I don't remember crying, but I remember my uncle, who probably was only 4 or 5 at the time, bawling his eyes out. I feel bad for him now.

There have been a few more memories, but I am boring myself! I guess it just takes a smell or a sound to remind you of something or someone. People go in and out of your life, I think it is the ones that you remember with a smile upon your face that have made the biggest impact. The ones that are in your heart as well as your mind.

1 comment:

Bowman Clan said...

That T-shirt is Awesome! Those little people are actually called Little People and they have been redesigned by Fisher Price so that they are twice the size which I think is kind of rediculous. I too played with them when I was little and my mom still has them for my kids to enjoy whenever we go over there. Vivian was packing them into the school bus the other day however she was nice enough to give them their own lawn chairs and craddles in the bus instead of shoving them in the little holes designed for them. It was adorable. I was also at target a few weeks ago and saw that Fisher Price is actually remaking a lot of their old toys and remarketing them. There were jack in the boxes, the little TV set that had 2 pictures on it to rotate around, the old rotary toy phone and the little dog that you drag around on a string that I played with at my Grandma's house. It is nice to see those familiar things from the past. Thanks for bringing on the nostalgia.