Monday, August 24, 2009

Wow, I guess I have a few blog followers because I have been asked to please update! Who knew people actually read what I wrote and, frankly, want to read more. Being the wonderful, pleaser person that I am, I will do yet another blog for my fans!

So, August has been a long month. I guess I had a few things that I was looking forward to and they have now past, so we need to move on to September which, at looking at my calender, will be a very busy month. I have learned a couple of things in the past month or so -- The first thing that I have learned is that you cannot change the past. The second thing I have learned is that nothing stays the same.

I would imagine that we all have something, perhaps maybe just one thing, that we would like to go back and change. I have a couple of times I would like to go back to and do something different. Whether it is small like picking up the phone and making that phone call that you know you should, writing that letter (or E-mail in the last few years) that may have changed things, or perhaps just letting that hug linger on just a few more seconds. Or changing something rather big like like not letting my kids go out to play that day or making sure he got that last birthday card before he died. I wonder if given the opportunity, a gift if you will, to go back and change something if we could, if we would. How much, I wonder, would it change the future? Let's say that we had the chance to change one little thing...would it matter much today? Let's say I had made that phone call...where would I be now? How about if could change one of the big things, let's say that I did not let Garrick go out that day, would it still have ended up the same way? Sadly, I will never know the answer to those questions. I have an idea of what could have happened, but, because we cannot go back, I wont ever know. You cannot change the past.

So, now that Natalie is back in school and Garrick is gone again, I am back to my regular schedule. Up at 5:00am and in bed by 9:00pm and hopefully to sleep by 10:00pm. I play around on the computer for a while in the morning, checking E-mails, playing a few games, updating statuses. I download voice files to transcribe. I work rather diligently during the day. I sometimes work in a little laundry or a little housecleaning. Often times, I work in a call from a friend, or two! On a really good day, I lunch with a friend or my husband. Natalie (now that she has made the Varsity volleyball team, YAY) gets home roughly at 5:30pm and we eat dinner right away and she does her homework. On the days that Trent works nights, he leaves around 4:00pm and I wont see him again until the following morning which we pass briefly in the hall as he is going to bed and as I am going to work. When he works days, I have the opportunity to see him in the evenings. My favorite times with Trent, however, are his days off, which have been very minimal in the last few months. I will get at least one text a day from Garrick and more than likely we will chat on Facebook or perhaps have a brief Skype chat.

So, as much as that sounds like I do the same thing every day, every day it is a little different. Nothing stays the same. In a few years, I wont have a kid in high school, I may not have one living at home (for the first time in 20+ years). I have a few gray hairs and a few extra pounds and a couple of wrinkles around my eyes...nothing stays the same. Friends come and go -- promising that you will stay in touch; sometimes yes, sometimes no. Extended family changes too; how long has it been since I saw that aunt or since I have talked with that uncle and where are their kids now? There are even some relatives, long lost cousins, that I have never met; perhaps some who know nothing of my existence. Nothing stays the same. Through miles and through years, things change, people change, feelings change. Nothing stays the same.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long lost cousins indeed....

Velvet Wood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Velvet Wood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allison said...

Great read thhanks