Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I am Mother - hear me roar

Some things have been going on in my life that I do not understand nor can I explain. I have so many questions: What is a mother? Who is a mother? What is a mother supposed to do for her children? How much is too much? Can a mother love her son or daughter too much? Does co-dependence actually exist for mothers and sons or mothers and daughters? Does always being there for your children make a mother an enabler? What the hell does it mean when a mother is told she did not raise her children to be independent?

These questions, of course, are rhetorical. I know the answers. I also know that as a mother, I have tried my best. Have I screwed up? Of course I have. Have I made mistakes? Of course I have. Would I go back and change anything? Not one thing. Am I proud of my children? More than they will ever know. Did I do a good job? Considering that neither child is in jail, on drugs, a drop out of school, pregnant/gotten someone pregnant, I would say that I did a fairly good job (of course their father did help too!). Do I think I was a good mother? I do, actually - and screw those that think differently.

I am going to miss my kids when they are gone and, if I have done my job correctly, they will miss me too. I, personally, do not think that is a bad thing. I am, after all, their mother.

1 comment:

Things I Love: said...

Enuf said. You are mother, Hear you roar!I have always looked up to you and the mother you are to your children. I pray that my children will love me just as much as yours love you!