What happened to the good 'ol days? I don't mean the days of yesteryear, I frankly just mean like 5 years ago. Why has society decided that they have the right to take whatever they see within reach and take it? Why has society decided that is okay to take other people's property? When did society decide that being in possession of other's property is acceptable?
Okay, maybe not in all places but definitely here where I live. Last night Natalie had volleyball practice and I have a summer cold (oh my heck, who in their right mind gets a cold in the middle of a heat wave? Really?!? It is 102 degrees outside and I am in the house with a sore throat and a runny nose) and I went to pick her up and I was just exhausted, so I decided that I was going to cook Subway for dinner. We went, with Garrick too, and ordered our sandwiches, grabbed our chips and our drinks, and we were out of there. We get to the car, like 15 feet from the front door, and Natalie says, "Oh my phone, I left it in there." I told her to run back in and get it. She did, and low and behold it was gone. WHAT?!?!? I called her phone from my phone so she could find it, but it was gone. There was like 4 people in there and of course none of them saw anything. I went in and kinda threw a fit (Trent said if he would have been there, the cops would have been called...he really knows how to throw a fit!!) and asked those people in there. Again, no was saw a phone. I cannot even begin to describe how frustrated I am. I have chased people down to their cars when I see they have left something on the counter, I mean literally. Once at Kohl's a lady left her drivers license beside the credit card slide thing, I picked it up and ran out to the parking lot and found her and gave it to her. She was less than thankful, but that was beside the point, I know I had saved her from a hassle of getting a new license.
Maybe I could see past it (not really, but I am trying) if it were some homeless person who took it to sell for his next meal. But there was not one person in there that needed that phone more than us. That was Natalie's phone...her brand new phone. You know, the one that set me back $100 and a two-year contract! I am just stunned that whoever took it thought that it was okay. When did it become okay to take something that is not yours? Really? You see something on the counter or floor or parking lot that is not yours and you really think it is okay to just pick it up and put it in your pocket? Who raised these people? I know, you really can't blame the parents, but here is a story for you...A couple of years ago my friend down the street had one of her kids bikes stolen right from their front porch. It was definitely a kids bike, not an adults. So, this kid who stole the bike goes home and what, tells his parents someone gave him a bike? Maybe he found it. I don't know, but my common sense is going to tell me to ask a bunch of questions. If indeed my kid "found" or was "given" a new bike, I am going to investigate a bit. I cannot even fathom the idea of my children coming home with something new that was "given" to them without finding out more details.
Anyway, I am ranting. But I am mad. Now I have to replace Natalie's phone, and because there is no new two-year contract, I have to pay full price for a phone or cancel the contract and pay the penalty. My daughter, and son for that matter, has a phone so I can get a hold of her when I need to. The phone is not really for them, although that is a cool benefit for them, the phone is for me. I want to know where they are, what they are doing, and when they will be back. Ooopsss, there is the rant again... okay, I am done.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That really stinks!! Have you tried looking on craigslist? I get lots of stuff on there and you may be able to find a used phone for a way better deal.
Post a Comment