Saturday, July 23, 2011

Knitting projects....

Thought I would quickly show you all my recent knitting projects....

First of all, I finished Natalie's Giants scarf. It is an illusion scarf meaning that when you look at the scarf from one direction, it looks like just stripes....(http://sites.google.com/site/laurasknits/heartillusionscarfpattern)



BUT....when you look at from an angle...


You see HEARTS!!!!

It was a fun project and it took me way longer than I had anticipated, but it is done and I feel really good about it!

My next project was socks...yes, you did not misread that. I made a pair of socks. I am frickin' amazing! I used double pointed needles (DPNs) and it was my very first project with them ever. I can't tell you have many times I started them and ripped them out and started them again, but it was plenty. So, let me take you through this process....

First of all you have to start with three needles and connect them. You still only technically knit with two at a time, but all four needles are always present:




I then knitted down for 2" for the cuff of the sock:



The next part of the sock is called the heel flap. The heel of the sock is knitted a little thicker for wear purposes. So, this is done with just two needles while the other two needles stay up top:



Then you have to do the "turn." That's right...that heel does not turn on its own:



Then, is the hardest part, at least for me. It is called the gusset. You have to take the heel and hook it, eventually, to the cuff part, getting back to using three needles:



Then you do the length of the sock. Then you have to do the toe shaping. Then you do this stitch to put it all together and .....drum roll....this is what you get:





Thank you, thank you very much. Doing a bunch of sockies for Christmas....be prepared dearest family to wear the best sockies ever!!!

I have a great blog post coming up, maybe tomorrow...stay tuned.

XOXO

No comments: