Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Who am I ?

I was talking with someone the other day and she asked me, "Who is Velvet?" I thought for a moment and this is what I came up with:

Velvet -- Daughter, sister, niece, cousin, granddaughter, wife, mother, aunt, friend...

But then she clarified and wanted to know "WHO" Velvet is, not "WHAT" she is. I don't really know who I am. I am all those things, but do they define who I am? If you did not really know me and I listed those things above, would you know me? You could gather a few clues like I am married with children and I have a brother or a sister and a mother and a father... but is that WHO I am?

I asked Natalie who she thought I was...this is what she said about me: She said I am beautiful (awww), I am smart, I am sarcastic (?what?), I am tone deaf, I would do anything for my children, I spoil my dog as well as my children, I like the beach, I like to read, I am competitive. Do you think you know me any better now?

What if I told you I laugh hysterically at my own jokes and I sing in the shower? Or what if I told you that I lay in bed at night and think way too much? Would you know me any better if I told you that I purposely set my alarm clock early just so I can push the snooze button? What if I told you that I iron my jeans or I love this new hobby of knitting or that I always, always finish a book even if I hate it or I wont walk outside without hair and makeup done or I love the rain or I love shoes or I cannot gargle or that my vision is corrected the exact same on both eyes or I will always put those I love before myself or I just recently started dying my hair or that I used to hate pizza or I truly love the game of football or that I wear diamonds and pearls with jeans or that I despise silver jewelry or that I have 7 fake teeth or that I purposely buy shoes 1/2 size too small or I love to go for a drive or that I could sit and watch people all day or that I am allergic to cats or that I am fighting depression or that I rarely drive the posted speed limit or that I can type 120 words per minute with 99% accuracy or that I do not have a higher education, would you know me then?

Who is Velvet Louise Johnson Wood? I don't know, really. But, I am going to find out.

XOXO

3 comments:

Shawn and SGTex said...

Delightful! As you are :+).

Loralee said...

You buy shoes a half size too small? Wow! I learned something about you today.

Velvet, you are one of the most caring and compassionate people I know! I miss you and I think of you often.

Anonymous said...

Wow - yes, I know you better! But I loved you when I didn't know all those things about you -- I just love you more now!!