Fall is here in California! The leaves are finally starting to turn, the air is starting to cool, and, of course, football is on my television! The difference between Fall here and other places, is that this will only last a few weeks and then Winter will settle in. In about March or April, Spring will pop in to say hello, but, again, only for a few weeks, and then here comes Summer. So, in California, there are really only two seasons with just a few weeks in between of my favorite seasons.
When we moved to California in 2001, I remember this time of year and wondering when winter was going to come. I remember my family just laughing and laughing at the Californians who had the big, heavy winter coats on, scarfs, gloves, big ol' boots!! We has just moved from New Mexico where, yes my friends, it snows and it gets very, very cold. We laughed because we would walk outdoors with merely a sweatshirt on and were actually just fine. Winter here was like Fall in NM. So...the next year rolls around -- We have now been in California for a year. We still refuse to have the big, winter coats, but it does appear a bit colder than it was the year before. So, lets jump ahead to last year...I was FREEZING!! It was only November and I could not remember ever being as cold as I was then! Trent bought me...I can barely bring myself to say it...a big, ol', heavy winter coat!!! I really have not had the opportunity to use it yet this year (its faux fur and I love, love, love it!!) but is it ready for use. I also have the new scarf and am looking for the perfect gloves. The boots...well, duh, of course I will get new boots (November shoes!!) but they will be fashion forward and probably not too comfortable!
I am welcoming Fall with open arms. I love the different colors of leaves on the trees and when the wind blows, I quite enjoy seeing the leaves fly around! My oranges (I still cannot believe that I have oranges and no lemons...makes my heart really hurt! I am definitely going to try lemons again!)are green and starting to make the turn to orange. I love getting the winter clothes out from last year and putting on a bulky sweater for the first time. I love climbing into my bed which the electric blanket has been turned on for a few minutes and the sheets are just hot enough to warm my legs as I settle in for the night. I love Christmas shopping for my family and friends and am thrilled beyond belief when I come across that perfect gift. I love Thanksgiving dinner - I just wish my mom was here, or I was there, for her to cook it! I love to see the trees lose their leaves and the grass to lose its life if only to be reborn again in the Spring.
Yes, yes indeed, Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. I shall enjoy it while it lasts.
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Fall is my favorite time of the year, too! If your New Mexico friends and family tease you about the heavy winter coat, just tell them that we have a "damp cold" here and it can just settle into your bones. Maybe then they won't give you such a hard time. :)
Post a Comment